tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 13:06:04 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

De'vID ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh:
>>  > polygon - mey’
>>
>> Further to what Voragh says about {meyrI'}, I wonder if there might also
>> be an etymological connection with the plural suffix {-mey}.

Quvar:
> My First thought was that it's a typo, because we had {meyrI'} already.

chaq "May", "Mary" je 'oS neH.

QeS 'utlh:
>>  > three-sided base - qu’vu’
>>
>> As Voragh has just pointed out (beat me to it!), Khufu was the
>> 4th-Dynasty Egyptian pharaoh for whom the Great Pyramid at Giza in Egypt
>> served as the tomb.

Quvar:
> But - one should also keep in mind that Chufu's pyramid is four-sided, not
> three-sided.

tera'Daq loS reD 'Impey' chenmoHpu' Khufu. 'ach Qo'noSDaq ra'Duch
'Impey' chenmoHba'pu'.

ra'Duchmey muSHa'qu' tlhInganpu' net Sov.

"Khufu" is clearly a Klingon name, {qu'vu'}. He was so named because
he was a fierce manager.

QeS 'utlh:
>> Also, for those not aware, a pyramid having a
>> three-sided base (and consequently having all four sides forming
>> triangles) has the special name of "tetrahedron".

Quvar:
> To be nitpicking, this is only the case when ALL of the sides are equal,
> that is, all surfaces of it are a {ra'Duch tIQ}.
>
> If the base of the pyramid is a {vayya'}, it's a {vayya' 'Impey}, but not a
> tetrahedron.

I think in that case it is a tetrahedron, but not a... *{qu'vu' tIQ}?

--
De'vID