tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 11:19:24 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> Note the use of {reD}:  {loS/vagh reD mey'} a "four/five wall polygon.
> >> We also had {Dop} "side", so I'm not sure how this is different.

Quvar:
>> Well, I don't remember every use of Dop/"side", but it seems to be a
>> more abstract use, as in "put it on the side", or also in the sense of
>> "left side" and "right side".
>>
>> The surfaces / sides of a box are something else. They close a two- or
>> three-dimensional area.

De'vID:
> If {Dop} is used in a geometric context, I'd understand it as "face"
> (i.e., the front or back side of a polygon).
>
> Note that its usage in Klingon Monopoly, {'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'} "card
> must be turned this side up", is consistent with this. (A card is, after
> all, just a rectangle.)[]

Like a 2-dimensional square or rectangle, a playing card has four sides (left, right, top, bottom) but being 3 dimensional it also has two surfaces/faces (called the front/back side or the face/back of the card).

What prompted my comment was:  How does one refer to the inner and outer surface/face of a sphere/pyramid, cone, etc.?  We have Okrand's comments from HQ 9.3, generally referring to box-shaped things:

HQ 8.3:  The word for top is {yor}. This refers to the top side or top face of an object, such as the top of a box or the top of a table or even the top of one's head. It is not the word used for lid or cover or cap (as in lid of a jar) or removable (and reusable) top of a box. The word for this kind of top or lid or cover is {yuvtlhe'}. Similarly, {yor} is not the word for the inside of the top of something. If one were sitting under a table, the (presumably) flat surface above one is termed the {'aqroS}. [...] The word for bottom, the counterpart of {yor}, is {pIrmuS}. This word refers to the underside of something, not the interior bottom (such as the bottom of a well or the bottom of a bowl where a few drops of milk remain after eating cereal). The word for the interior bottom of something is {bIS'ub}. If an item is located in the bottom of a box, it is located in the box's {bIS'ub}. If something is found underneath a box, it is found beneath the box's {pIrmuS}.

He does refer to wells (essentially a long, narrow cylinders) or bowls (usually half-spheres), though I'm not sure how one would apply this to a sphere {moQ}.

We also have the nouns {qoD} "inside, interior", {Hur} "outside" and {botlh} "center, middle" available.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons