tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 10:54:44 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Status of the KLI / Re: centralised archive of new word sources (De'vID)

De'vID ([email protected])

Qov:
> [...] I participate in a weekly Skype-based qepHom, [...]

Is this advertised anywhere? Is this the Chicago thing? If I knew what
time it was and it's an appropriate time where I am (Zurich), I'd
join. I just don't want to be called in the middle of the night.

Qov:
> [...] What the KLI needs is: [...]
> * the password to its own website

I thought ghunchu'wI' had that.

Qov:
> * a website and general social media presence as avant garde as the KLI
> website was back in 1996. We have missed multiple opportunities to
> capitalize on high-profile Klingon items, like the latest movie, the Bing
> release, and every time some old Klingon story hits the media.

It doesn't even have to be avant garde, just active and functional.
The other day someone asked me how to join the KLI mailing list. I
gave her instructions, but she wasn't able to join.

Because there isn't one central place for all Klingonists (like a
functional KLI web site would be), we're diffused and scattered all
over the place. There are multiple Facebook groups (personally, I
think it'd be better to consolidate them so the remaining group is
more active). There's also KAG's Hol 'ampaS forums, the Klingon
Imperial Forums, qepHom.de, klingonska.org, a G+ community, and
various personal web sites and Twitter accounts. Taken together, the
Klingon language community is actually somewhat active. There's also
the critical mass effect: if people were concentrated in one place,
there'd be more interaction. I'd happily close the G+ account and my
own web site, and leave the Facebook groups, if I knew that the KLI
web site was functional and would remain functional (i.e., not
suddenly be shut down and lose my posts). As it is, I maintain all
sorts of open channels by which someone who was interested in Klingon
could reach me if they were looking for a Klingon speaker.

Qov:
> * teaching materials that match the way people want to learn languages these
> days. In 1985 if you wanted to learn a language you bought a reasonable
> dictionary and grammar and a couple of cassette tapes and you went at it.
> And we liked it that way. But times have moved on and would-be learners are
> confused and discouraged when there is not a social media-enabled
> interactive video course with badges, flashing lights and hot chicks.

Well, I can't help with the hot chicks... but as many people know,
I've been working on an Android app {boQwI'} which has word and phrase
look-up and grammar analysis. People have been asking me to add
text-to-speech or recorded voice, and things like games and
flashcards. I can't do it all by myself. Surely, someone out there has
Android programming skills and spare time?
https://code.google.com/p/klingon-assistant/issues/list?sort=priority

Qov:
> * more younger Klingonists who have the attitude required to learn and
> promote the language. Most of the good speakers are in our forties and
> involved with family, and career.

This is chicken and egg, though. The more young people there are, the
more who will join, but they won't join unless they see other young
people.

Seriously, though, every week a couple of young people shout into the
Twitter void that they'd like to learn Klingon. I (or more usually
loghaD) will usually point them at the Facebook Learn Klingon group,
but most of them don't show up there. Maybe they weren't serious, or
maybe they see that the groups aren't particularly active, or that
there aren't many people in their demographic in the group, and so
don't bother.

Are new people even able to join the mailing list? (Do young people
even use mailing lists any more?)

Qov:
> * a forum using modern technology and equivalent to the multiplayer online
> environment many of us hones our skill in. A new version of the Quch Quch
> that kids these days could visit on their smartphones.

What's Quch Quch? Was that a KLI MUSH?

Qov:
> Most of the projects require a high level of Klingon. We got burned by
> Facebook who provided an interface for a Klingon Facebook translation but
> didn't give us the tools to manage it in a way that it can ever be completed
> to their satisfaction. It depends on votes from a large number of users, and
> while lots of people would like to use Klingon Facebook, there simply aren't
> enough good speakers for our "votes" to produce a clear consensus on
> multiple but equally good translations of stings describing the cost of
> impressions per click, to advertisers.

De' law' vIja'laHbe' (*chutwI'pu'mo'), 'ach peghbogh tlhIngan Hol
jInmol'a' vIvumlI'. 'ach Do'Ha', vIrInmoHmeH jo vIlo'nISbogh
vISuqlaHbe'. nuvpu' puSqu' neH vuQtaH tlhIngan Hol 'e' luHarlaw'
wuqwI'. Suverya'ngan vutwI' Hol potlh law' tlhIngan Hol potlh puS 'e'
luHarlaw'. Suverya'ngan vutwI' Hol mughmeH Qu' ngeD law' tlhIngan Hol
mughmeH Qu' ngeD puS 'e' lumaq je. vaj rInpa' tlhIngan Hol jInmol,
rInnIS Suverya'ngan Hol jInmol, latlh Hol jInmol je. jImoghqu'.

'ach tlhoS De' 'Iq vI'angpu'. not mev peghmey. Hoch vItem.

If the KLI projected more of a presence that Klingon is a language
with a large(ish) active community, I believe that some projects which
are blocked due to a perceived lack of interest by the public will
have an easier time moving ahead. That's all.

--
De'vID