tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 13:46:19 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Status of the KLI / Re: centralised archive of new word sources (De'vID)

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

The KLI exists, holds an annual conference, and publishes works within its
mandate. I don't know what the membership is, or of any advantage to being a
member, as we don't restrict our assistance or resources to members. I'm not
even sure of the last time I paid membership dues or if they are still being
collected. Publication and mailing costs killed the paper serial of HoQeD
and I'm not quite sure what killed the subsequent electronic version. With
the exception of the defunct literary journal jatmey, so far all
publications have been foreign language works in translation. Members
coordinated by Lawrence do translation work for projects ranging from Bing
to the recent audio book "How to Speak Klingon." I participate in a weekly
Skype-based qepHom, two Klingon Facebook groups and attended the Saarbrueken
qepHom.  The tradition of qepHommey was established by the KLI, so even when
the event isn't organized directly by the KLI, I consider them KLI events.

At the moment the KLI is mainly a loosely knit coalition of people who care
about the language being used well. Unfortunately being used well and being
widely recognized are goals that can be slightly at odds, so popularization
projects can leave a bad taste.

What the KLI needs is:

*  a director who is as qualified, knowledgeable and steady as Lawrence, but
who isn't focusing most of his energy on an English-language science fiction
writing career. Perhaps an energetic assistant director who is able to
implement and extend Lawrence's vision.
* the password to its own website
* a website and general social media presence as avant garde as the KLI
website was back in 1996. We have missed multiple opportunities to
capitalize on high-profile Klingon items, like the latest movie, the Bing
release, and every time some old Klingon story hits the media.
* teaching materials that match the way people want to learn languages these
days. In 1985 if you wanted to learn a language you bought a reasonable
dictionary and grammar and a couple of cassette tapes and you went at it.
And we liked it that way. But times have moved on and would-be learners are
confused and discouraged when there is not a social media-enabled
interactive video course with badges, flashing lights and hot chicks.
* more younger Klingonists who have the attitude required to learn and
promote the language. Most of the good speakers are in our forties and
involved with family, and career.
* a forum using modern technology and equivalent to the multiplayer online
environment many of us hones our skill in. A new version of the Quch Quch
that kids these days could visit on their smartphones.

Most of the projects require a high level of Klingon. We got burned by
Facebook who provided an interface for a Klingon Facebook translation but
didn't give us the tools to manage it in a way that it can ever be completed
to their satisfaction. It depends on votes from a large number of users, and
while lots of people would like to use Klingon Facebook, there simply aren't
enough good speakers for our "votes" to produce a clear consensus on
multiple but equally good translations of stings describing the cost of
impressions per click, to advertisers.

Myself I am supposed to be working on improving the Bing translation, but
I'm writing this e-mail and working on a Power Point presentation for work
and playing an online game ... the sort of people who learn Klingon for fun
are the sort of people who can be distracted from useful work by any manner
of interesting and esoteric things.

Projects that would probably be on the KLI website were it not trapped in
limbo, and whose authors would probably make them part of such a website
were one to emerge again include the Swedish Akademien Klingonska and
Lieven's continuation of the new words list.

Your message is a good one, and although you say you're not one to do all
that, what can you do? Are you a good coordinator? I'm a pretty good content
generator, but sometimes when  project is too daunting I don't do anything.
I need someone to figure out what to do with my content and elicit it in the
right sized pieces.

 - Qov