tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 15 04:37:38 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Marc Okrand about Into Darkness

De'vID ([email protected])

Quvar:
>> http://www.qephom.de/e/okrand_about_into_darkness.html

De'vID:
> "the stuff I had submitted had no new material, except for one half
> new word, which was jaSHa', meaning "similarly". "
>
> We sort of already knew this (from a msg dated 2012-08-30 from Qov),
> but it's nice to hear a confirmation from another occasion.

Digging up the message - from Qov (2012-08-30):
> Asked if jaSHa' and pe'vIlHa' were okay, Marc said, "Why wouldn't they be?"
> implying that -Ha' on adverbs is generally accepted, if the meaning is
> obvious. vajHa' has already been canonically rejected, but given the general
> confusion regarding what chaqHa' and rutHa' could mean, they were not
> accepted.
>
> SaH ghunchu'wI', 'angghal, QeS je. lutchaj vIja' neH.

I found an even older message about this - from Voragh (2006-12-20):
> Note that the postulated adverbial *{jaSHa'} "similarly, in the same way"
> does not exist.  peHruS reported on a conversation he had with Okrand:
>
>    At the 2000 qep'a' in conversation with MO, I went over the list
>    I had prepared of adverbs + {-Ha'}. This was the very one which I
>    was disappointed to learn from MO himself that it does NOT work.
>    He never explained why. [...] Merely that (possibly not verbatim):
>    "I don't think it works." He did not volunteer any other informa-
>    tion about why it doesn't SEEM to work or what else would work.
>
> peHruS prepared his list after reading Okrand's comment in HolQeD 4.4:
>
>    Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear.
>    The notes taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked
>    at {vajHa'} ("not thus?") but accepted {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately".
>    Information on other adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though
>    it is probably in the notes somewhere.

It seems that some time between 2000 and 2009, MO changed his mind on {jaSHa'}.

--
De'vID