tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 14:42:09 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] je pense, donc je suis

On 1/11/2014 5:33 PM, De'vID wrote:

Because today's KWOTD was {Qub}, @chaQDI posted the sentence {jIQub vaj
jIHtaH} to Twitter.

I recognised it immediately as a translation of "je pense, donc je
suis", better known through the Latin "cogito ergo sum".

Would you use {jIHtaH} for this or just plain {jIH}? I think I would
have rendered it as {jIQubmo' jIH}. But I wonder if that wouldn't look
like it was missing the second part of a complex sentence? (Because
{jIH} looks like the subject of {jIQubmo'}.)

As far as I know the originals do not talk about ongoing being; they just prove that because I do think, I must be.

Including {vaj} prevents the {jIH} being the subject of {jIQubmo'}.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/