tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 20:05:15 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] everywhere else

nIqolay q ([email protected])

In the case of "Dat peD, 'ach naDev peDbe'", I think it might not be
taken as contradictory. There's already a similar precedent for words
referring to "everything" being used in the sense of "everything
besides" or "everything else" in contexts where an explicit exception
is given -- the superlative construction uses Hoch, not Hoch latlh.
{wo'rIv yoH law' Hoch yoH puS} implicitly means "Worf is braver than
everybody else", even though a more literal meaning of "Hoch" might
suggest that Worf is braver than everyone including himself, which is
nonsensical. Granted, the law'-puS construction is highly formalized,
so perhaps an exception is made in that case, but perhaps it means
that the Klingon mind would not immediately dismiss a similar
construction with "Dat".

That said, I also like ghunchu'wI''s suggestion of {naDev neH peDbe'}.