tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 10:22:36 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] everywhere else

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
> "It's snowing everywhere but here", or "It's snowing everywhere else."
>
> {Dat peD, 'ach naDev peDbe'} sounds a bit contradictory, but perhaps the
> latter half restricts the former.
>
> {naDev peDbe', 'ach Hoch latlh DaqDaq peD} is a bit too wordy.
>
> Suggestions?

Hmm...  We do have the adverbial {tlhoS} "almost, nearly, virtually, not quite" from KGT but I suspect it would modify the verb, not the noun {Dat}:  i.e. *?{tlhoS Dat} "nearly everywhere".  How {tlhoS} differs from {loQ} "slightly, a little bit, briefly, short" in practice is unknown as I know of no examples of the former.  Anything in the paq'batlh?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons