tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 21:30:10 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Politician Quits, Writes Resignation Letter "In Klingon"

nIqolay q ([email protected])

The Klingon translation is horrible, which will surprise none of you,
I'm sure. "Constitution" and "resignation" have been transliterated
directly as "chonStItutIon" and "reSIghnatIon". I do like the last
line, which Waddell left untranslated: "jachtaHvIS jatlh: DavID
waDDell". The first half is the longest sensible part of the letter,
and I think "he said it while screaming" is a rather amusing way to
end an angry message. I wonder if it was intentional, and if not, what
the intended meaning of that phrase was.

Translating the intended message more accurately isn't that hard, but
I did get hung up on the best way to translate "Constitution", in the
context of the US Constitution. chut'a', perhaps?