tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 27 07:49:12 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon word: bIj
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: punishment

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

Cultural notes:

"You can't turn me over to the Klingons. They don't just imprison you... Do you know what the punishment is for fraud?" (Yranac, [a terrified Yridian who had 12 outstanding arrest warrants for fraud and petty theft in the Klingon Empire] to Riker, TNG "Gambit Pt. I")

Kortar, the ferryman on the mythical Barge of the Dead, destroyed the gods who created him and, as punishment, was condemned to ferry the souls of the dishonored dead over the River of Blood to the gates of Grethor. (VOY "Barge of the Dead")

"You'll find there are many rules and regulations. They will be posted. Violation of the smallest of them will be punished by death [...] From this day on, no public assemblages of more than three people. All publications to be cleared through this office. Neighborhood controls will be established, hostages selected. A somewhat lengthy list of crimes against the state." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

Related words:

Hup		punish (v)  }
bIj  		punish (v)  } -- [difference is unknown]
  - qabIj
    I punish you. KGT

pab  		follow (rules, customs, etc.) (v)
pabHa'  	misfollow (the rules), follow (the rules) wrongly) (v)
bIv 		break (rules) (v)
HeS 		commit a crime (v)
yem 		sin (v)

mub 		be legal (v)