tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 26 07:52:33 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: loghjaj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, February 26, 2014
>
> Klingon word: loghjaj
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: Thursday
> Source: qepHom 2013

Hmm... "(outer) space day" - there's got to be a pun, but I don't see it.

FYI, here's De'vID's November 2013 post about the days of the week post:

>> tlhIngan Hogh jajmey pongmey bIH.  Delpu' malth.  De' vIQay neH.
>
> DaSjaj - "Monday"
> povjaj - "Tuesday"
> ghItlhjaj - "Wednesday"
> loghjaj - "Thursday"
> buqjaj - "Friday"
> lojmItjaj / ghInjaj - "Saturday" (lojmItjaj is used for more formal
>             occasions, but both are used interchangeably otherwise)
>
> For weekdays above six, such as found on alien calendars, they're
> simply counted starting with {jaj wa'} for the seventh weekday:
> {jaj wa'} - Terran "Sunday" (no analogue on the Klingon calendar);
> note that this is consistent with its usage from Star Trek: The
> Exhibition {jaj cha'} [...]

Here's the line from the STX announcement De'vID refers to:

  tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
    HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.
  Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998

Note that the Terran date is prefaced by {tera' poH}.

Various info about the Klingon week {Hogh}:

St.kl (6/1997):  Adding {-vam} "this" to most words designating fixed periods of time seems to be the only way to indicate current. Thus ... the current week or this week is {Hoghvam}...

KGT 205f.:  Similarly, the Klingon words {jaj}, {jar}, and {DIS} are normally translated as "day", "month", and
"year", respectively, but the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not the same as the Terran counterpart. Calculating the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not at all a straightforward exercise, but suffice it to say that a period of five months is not the same amount of time as a period of {vagh jarmey}.

MO to Lieven (3/27/2012):  I'll have to get back to you about names of days of the week. Maltz was very familiar with {jaj wa'} being used for Sunday in the publicity for the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. He said he assumed that whoever used that translation was catering to Americans who were used to considering Sunday the first day of the week, but the way the Klingon system and all of the Earth systems he had heard of overlaid on each other was complex (then he mumbled something about {tlhIngan Hoghmey} and wandered off). When I next find him in a talkative mood, I'll try to figure out what he was referring to.

KCD:  The Chalice of Kahless is kept full of wine in front of "The Tracker" sculpture and refilled every ninth day, just in case Kahless returns.  [Is this evidence of a nine-day (ritual?) week?]

Related words:

'ISjaH 		calendar (n)

--
Voragh