tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 06:56:23 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qoH SuS je bopbogh lut'e'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' nIqolay, jatlh:
>>           The only changes I made were [...] and also to use
>> "stone and brick" instead of "stone and mortar", simply because
>> we have a word for "brick" and not one for "mortar".

QeS:
> Well... no, not strictly. {ngogh} is really more "block" or "chunk"
> than "brick" specifically; we've seen it used to describe, among
> other things, pillows and loaves of bread.

I'm not sure that nIqolay is wrong here, though I think he should specify what kind of brick/block.

{ngogh} seems to be a (rectangular?) block/brick of something -- IOW a 3-dimensional shape.  I.e.

   {ngogh}   block/brick  :  {letbaQ}  rectangle
   {buq'Ir}  cube         :  {meyrI'}  square

With the recent words for shapes, we have some more 3D vs. 2D equivalents:

   {moQ}      sphere   :  {gho}      circle
   {'Impey'}  pyramid  :  {ra'Duch}  triangle

The word {ngogh} comes from the 9th qepHom'a' in Saarbrücken when someone asked Okrand about pillows of all things:

  Maltz first said that Klingons don't have pillows and he wondered
  why anyone would want one. But he's seen them (somewhere) and knows
  what they are. So when pushed - "If you have to call it something,
  what would you call it?" - he said {ngogh tun}. A {ngogh} is a block
  or lump or brick. [Maltz] said he's seen humans eating {yuch ngoghmey}
  and found that strange.
    (Lieven L. Litaer, 12/07/2010)

Examples:  {ngogh tun} "pillow", {nIm wIb ngogh} "[a block of?] cheese" TNK, {tIr ngogh} "bread" (i.e. a loaf?) TNK, {Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je} "burger" TNK.  And although Okrand didn't use the Klingon word specifically:

KGT 93:  A particularly popular dish, {tlhombuS}, requires that the cook coat a block of {tlhagh} [animal fat] with a mixture of {ngat} (herbed granulated cartilage) and {tIr} (grain) and then briefly immerse the block into the already boiling fat, just until the coating hardens.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons