tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 06:54:52 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qoH SuS je bopbogh lut'e'

nIqolay q ([email protected])

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Rohan Fenwick <[email protected]> wrote:
> ghItlhpu' nIqolay, jatlh:
>
>> I attempted a translation of the famous "the wind does not respect a
>> fool" story. I took the English text from the episode "Rightful Heir"
>> where Kahless's clone recites the story. The only changes I made were
>> to use third person instead of first person (since presumably most
>> people who want to tell the story are not Kahless), and also to use
>> "stone and brick" instead of "stone and mortar", simply because we
>> have a word for "brick" and not one for "mortar".
>
> Well... no, not strictly. {ngogh} is really more "block" or "chunk" than
> "brick" specifically; we've seen it used to describe, among other things,
> pillows and loaves of bread.

True. I wanted to preserve the "stone and ____" structure of the
sentence and couldn't think of any other existing words that could be
conceivably be used in a wall, and didn't want to try constructing a
phrase for "mortar". Perhaps I should leave it as {nagh 'emDaq qabwIj
vISo'Qo'} until a word for mortar pops up.

> taH:
>
>> "Long ago, a storm was heading toward the city of Quin'lat. The people
>> sought protection within the walls. All except one man who remained
>> outside. [Kahless] went to him and asked what he was doing. I am not
>> afraid, he said. I will not hide my face behind stone and [brick]. I
>> will stand before the wind and make it respect me. [Kahless] honoured
>> his choice and went inside. The next day, the storm came and the man
>> was killed. The wind does not respect a fool."
>>
>> ben law' QInlat veng ghoS jevbogh muD.
>
> Hm. I'm not overly comfortable with {muD} to mean a specific weather
> phenomenon - only the weather in general. {jevbogh SuS} is probably all you
> need here.

I thought that the implicit subject for weather verbs was {muD}, and
so {jevbogh muD} would perhaps mean something like "stormy weather".
{muD} does seem more like it should apply to a general condition of
being stormy, rather than a specific weather system considered as a
single entity that could approach a place. (It makes me wish that
there really was a noun for {jev}.)

>> yergho qoDDaq Qan'egh Hoch ghotpu'. HurDaq ratlh wa' loD neH.
>> ghaH ghoS qeylIS 'ej ghel. jatlh qeylIS, nuq Data'. jatlh loD,
>> vIghIjbe'lu'.
>
> maj.
>
>> nagh ngoch je
>
> {ngoch} means "policy". The word you're looking for is {ngogh}.

toH! DopDaq qul yIchenmoH, QobDI' ghu'.

-nIqolay