tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 12 07:06:43 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] romyo' julyet je: bI'reS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> Also, possibly {chuD} is too broad for "parents".

QeS:
> I was going for this for two reasons: 1) the feud between the Montagues and
> the Capulets in the story goes beyond just the parents to include most
> members of the two warring houses, so I thought the choice was appropriate;
> but 2) more importantly I couldn't find any easy recast for "parents" that
> didn't go to at least five syllables (vavchaj SoSchaj je), eating up a full
> half-line. Are you thinking of an alternative?

De'vID:
>> No, but maybe use {qup} somehow to indicate that it's the older (i.e.,
>> parents') generation?

QeS:
> As I said, it's not just the parents' generation. Tybalt, the main and
> fiercest antagonist, is Juliet's cousin.

Note that {qup} "elder" (n) can refer to parents:

  chay' 'etlh DoQ nuch
    QongtaHbogh qup 'etlh nIH
  How does a coward claim a sword?
    By taking it from his sleeping father. PB

But if it's not just Juliet's father and mother {julyet vav SoS je}, why not just say family {qorDu'} (also translated "kin" in the paq'batlh):

  Dung qo' pawDI' qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH bop bommey.
  Upon reaching the upper world, no one could speak of anything,
  but the deeds of Kahless and his kin. PB

I'm not sure where Klingons draw the line between {qorDu'} (nuclear family? extended family?) and {tuq} "tribe, house, ancestral unit, etc.".  E.g.

  qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
  The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

Some related (!) vocabulary:

chuD 		people, kin, member of the same group or tribe or clan (n)

  Qob lIb bam SoH chuDlI' je. (STID)

tuqnIgh 	member of one's house (n)

HQ 9.3 p.8:  {tuqnIgh} is used to refer to any member of a house [{tuq}]. Thus, {qeng tuqnIgh} is "a member of the House of Kang", and {tuqnIghwI'} is "a member of my house".

qup'a'  	patriarch (n)

  ghaH rI' 'ej quvmoH qanra' qamchIy qup'a'
  He is welcomed by Kahnrah, Patriarch of Qam-Chee. PB

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons