tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 10 06:56:50 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] wedding vows - heartbeat?

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

>> N.B. {pe'vIl} used twice with {joq} and in all three examples: {tIqDu'} - Klingons have two hearts!
> teH'a' ngoDHomqoqvam? teHchugh, Hay'chu' luneHchugh cha' tlhInganpu',
> pe'vIl joqqu' loS tlhIngan tIqDu' 'e' vIpIH.

== paq'yav, Canto 4, Stanza 11 ==

Morath wakes his father,
The old Kanjit,
His hearts* weak, but proud.

qanjIt qan vemmoH moratlh
vavDaj ghaH qanjIt’e’
puj tIqDu’Daj ‘ach Hem

* Klingons have doubled up internal organs, so also two hearts; cf. the scene in which Kahless takes out Molor's hears (paq'raD 46-8).

Previously, it's been stated in Star Trek that Klingons have a single, eight-chambered heart.

One can probably reconcile these two statements by suggesting that the Klingon heart is divided into two attached parts with four chambers each, and that it's possible for one to function if the other is destroyed. Then, it'd be a matter of interpretation if a Klingon has one heart or two. Similar to our lungs, in a way.

--
De'vID