tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 29 10:20:39 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, December 29, 2014
>
> Klingon word: Hon
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: doubt

  tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIHon
  I doubt that you speak Klingon." (st.k 7/01/97)

st.k (7/01/97):  in the construction {S 'e' V}, where S is a sentence, {'e'} is the pronoun (that) which refers to a previous topic (in this case S), and V is one of the verbs listed above (as well as some others)... One other verb that can be used in the V slot in such sentences is {Hon} "doubt": {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIHon} "I doubt that you speak Klingon".

KGT 157:  The slang word [{na'}], a verb, is used in such constructions as {jIna'} ("I am positive [about something I just said]"; literally, "I am salty"] and {bIna''a'} ("Are you sure?"; literally, "Are you salty?"). These kinds of meanings may be expressed without using slang by employing such verbs as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or {Sovbej} ("know for certain"). See also {bej}, a slang term with similar meaning.

KGT 145:  The notions expressed by {bej} can be conveyed without slang with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or by making use of the verb suffix {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej} ("They're certainly ready to attack").

KGT 30f.:  throughout the Empire, a soup whose main component is *igvah* liver has a special name, {ghaw'}. This word is avoided in the Vospeg region, however, because there, the word {ghaw'} is a slang term meaning something like "one who is full of self-doubt or who is insecure" and is a word used only as an insult. To refer to the soup, one simply says {'IghvaH chej chatlh} (literally, "*igvah* liver soup"). In most of the Empire, to say to someone {ghaw' SoH} means only "You are *igvah* liver soup", an odd thing to say, but more incongruous than anything else. In the Vospeg region, on the other hand, to call someone a {ghaw'} is often the prelude to a fight to the death.

SEE ALSO:

Qub 		think (v)
SIv 		wonder (v)
Sov 		know (v)