tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 06:41:33 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] keeping "KLI folklore" words in word lists

SuStel ([email protected])

> From: SuStel <[email protected]>
Okay, I would like to add {'ughabugha} "make a point, present an
argument" to the non-canonical word list. I have said this word.

On 12/16/2014 4:52 AM, PICHLMANN Christoph wrote:
I'm not sure if you're being serious or just trying to ridicule the
discussion - at least my side of it.

You don't see a middle ground?

In any case, there should a noticeable difference between words or
sentences that have been coined spontaneously (likely unintentional)
and intentionally trying to create non-existant words by just taking
letters and combining them.

Really? You can distinguish the two just by looking?

I don't think the latter should be taken into any list, NOR do I
think the former should be classified as any form of canon, expanded
or otherwise. But if it's reasonable to expect that people will come
across the word, then there should be a place for them to find
information about it. "It" being the "klingon" word, not the english
equivalent (no word, hence no translation).

I think the arguments are missing each other. One side wants a catalog of things people say when they say they're speaking Klingon; the other side wants a catalog of words verified by Okrand as Klingon words. Anyone publishing a word list should decide which of these is being published.

As far as I'm concerned, any official list of unofficial words misses the point. You learn these words as unofficially as they really are. Put official words in an official list. Don't worry about someone encountering a word that's not official; they'll learn it in context just like everyone else did.

So, someone says {jIyID} and someone else doesn't know that word. It's not the end of the world. If I had a Klingon spell-checker I wouldn't add it to my custom dictionary.

So yeah, maybe I would list " 'ughabugha " with the explanation of
"Non-canon word facetiously made up on the spot by SuStel to ridicule
an argument made on the KLI mailing list".

Not only would you be wrong to include that word in a list, you got the annotation wrong too. See what happens when people take it upon themselves to include unverified words?

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/