tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 03 07:11:01 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Re: Direction and Movement with respect to Klin Zha

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Gaerfindel
> Each player {SuvwI'} "warrior/combatant" throws the spindles which are
> traditionally {jav reD mey' HoS tutmey} "(regular) hexagonal prisms", but
> nowadays are just as commonly {buq'Irmey} "cubes." []

What's wrong with {mI' naghmey} from Monopoly: {cha' mI' naghmey} "two dice".  (Dice can have any number of sides and many shapes.)  Eg.

  HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh
    mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
  If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten
    times amount shown. MKE

  pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey mI';
    chen qav'ap
  If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times amount shown
    on dice. MKE

> Thinking more about it, I think there might be a (semi-)rational, and
> uniquely Klingon way of identifying each space on a {tlhInja 'echlet}.
> (Or should that be {tlhInja may' 'echlet}?)

Why not {tlhInja Quj 'echlet}; cf. {Quj 'echlet} "game board" (MKE)?  Why add {may'} "battle" to the mix?

BTW the straight sides of the board between corners would probably be called a {reD}.  Eg.

loS reD mey' 		quadrilateral
vagh reD mey' 		pentagon
loS reD 'Impey'		pyramid (four-sided base)
vagh reD 'Impey' 	pyramid (five-sided base)

And we might be able to use {tajvaj} "angle" to refer to the corners of the {'echlet} however may there are.  (Cf. Russian *ugol* which is used both ways IIRC.)

P.S.  I've lost some of the posts in this thread, but has anyone mentioned the verbs {nech} "be lateral, move laterally") and {Don} "be parallel, go parallel to" WRT moving pieces across an {'echlet}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons