tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 29 07:24:06 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qatlh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, August 29, 2014
>
> Klingon word: qatlh
> Part of speech: ques
> Definition: why?

qatlh Haw'pu' yaS
Why did the officer flee? TKD

qatlh pa' ghoS
What's she doing? ["Why is she [the ship] going there?"] ST6

qatlh QeH
Why is he angry? CK

qatlh Dat DI tu'lu', tlhIngan?
Why is there rubble everywhere, Klingon? CK

qatlh bIjatlh
[Why do you say (that)? (untranslated)] PK

potlhbe'chugh yay qatlh pe''eghlu'
If winning is not important, then why keep score? TKW

qatlh jej taj
Why is the knife sharp? KGT

qatlh betleHDaj tlhapbe'
Why doesn't he take his bat'leth? KGT

qatlh tuneH
What do you want with me? (ENT "Affliction")

toH, Hey Humanpu'.  qatlh DISaH?
Why should I care about a human killing humans? (STID)

TKD 69:  Three other question words likewise occur at the beginning of the sentence.
         [FYI the other two are {chay'} "how?" and {ghorgh} "when?".]

KGT 32:  A minority of children pronounce {tlh} as {ch}, particularly at the end of syllables. For example, {qatlh} (why) is pronounced {qach}, and {botlh} (middle) is {boch}. Though the resulting forms may be real, though different, words ({qach}, for example, is "structure, building", and {boch} means "be shiny"), there is seldom any confusion because the identically pronounced words are used in such different contexts.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons