tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 27 07:19:41 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nugh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, August 27, 2014
>
> Klingon word: nugh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: society; group of people with shared culture

nughraj Dun lurDechmeyraj Dun je DIvuvta' 'e' lutul HaDwI'pu' 'ej vItul jIH.
The editors and I hope to have respected your rich culture and tradition
 (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom 11-DIch)

HQ 4.4:  Note that {nugh} "society" has a much broader meaning: a group of people with a shared culture. Accordingly, {tlhIngan nugh} would mean Klingon society as distinguished from, say, Romulan society, but {tlhIngan yej'an} would probably be The Klingon Society, a group dedicated to the study of Klingons.

"The word for monastery is {ghIn}. This is a pretty general term for a religious community (and the term "religious" could be interpreted in various ways as well)..." (MO's email to Lieven L. Litaer of 11/15/2010)

Trek quotes:

"This is not a primitive society making progress towards mechanization" (Spock, "Errand of Mercy")

"Klingon culture is not in your taste?" (Troi to Pulaski, TNG "The Icarus Factor")

Also: {nugh tlhegh} "society rope" (??)  I.e. behavior acceptable "in the eyes of the other people"? (Cf. "party line".)  This may refer to the six painstik-wielding warriors who form the gauntlet (or "River of Pain") for a young Klingon during his nentay.)

 - "Pok has yet to complete the Second Rite of Ascension. In the eyes
    of the {nugh tlhegh} he is still a boy."  [KCD novel]

See also:

nughQeD  		sociology (n)

tIgh 			custom (n)
tayqeq 		civilization (n)
yej'an 		(academic) society (n)
tlham 		order, structure [societal] (slang) (n)

Hach 			be developed (e.g. a civilization) (v)
'Itlh 		be advanced, highly developed (v)
lutlh 		be primitive (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons