tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 26 11:23:42 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] supersonic submarines?

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

I like to think of "underwater" as {bIQ wutlhDaq} ("in the water's undergound"). However, that is of course pure speculation. One could just as well imagine that it means "beneath the seafloor", or that it would be regarded as nonsensical.

I wonder if they have a noun for "underwater", just as they have one for "underground".

From the Trek novels I've read, it seems Klingons are quite averse to seafare. And, since most of Kronos' landmass is concentrated to one supercontinent, it probably doesn't have as prominent a role in their history as it does in ours. Perhaps instead of tales of bravery and discovery, their history speaks only of fools who set out to see and were never seen again.

Still, I'm sure that in their long history they have developed terminology to speak of such things; they do have words for different types of marine life, after all.

> I'm reminded of Trek "warp bubbles":  *{pIvchem pel'aQ}, literally "shell"
> as there's no word for bubble.  (Anyone think of a better translation?)

Perhaps {pIvchem SoQ}, or "closed warp field"? Or {pIvchem Qey} ("tight warp field")?
The edge of the warp bubble could be called {pIvchem veH}.