tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 25 07:19:44 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nep

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, August 25, 2014
>
> Klingon word: nep
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: lie, fib

  bInep
  You lie. You're lying. (TKD)

Cf. {nepwI'} "liar"

  nepwI' Daba'
  He is obviously lying. (TKD < TNG "A Matter of Honor")

[In the script this line is: *yI-Har-Qo! nep-we' ghaH!* (tevram) = {yIHarQo'! nepwI' ghaH} ("He's a liar") "it's more likely that [Okrand] was doing a bit of backfitting to an accidental extra syllable spoken by the actor in the Next Generation episode. It sounds a lot like {nepwI' Daba'}, but if you listen carefully and watch his mouth, he's apparently saying "nepwee ga-ba", which I figure was originally {nepwI' ghaH} in the script. Both {Da} and {-ba'} (v6) appear in the Addendum. Most of the Addendum's words can be found in the early TNG episodes and sixth Trek movie." (ghunchu'wI', 6/26/06)]

"If you were not an ambassador I would disembowel you right now!" (Worf to Iyaaran Amb. Byleth, who had accused Worf of lying during a poker game [TNG "Liaisons"])

Klingons may not care whether a falsehood is intentional, but only whether the information is reliable. As Ambassador Kell admonished Worf, "Motives? Who cares for motives? Humans, perhaps." (TNG "The Mind's Eye") This shows up in TKW (p.143) as a proverb:  {ram meqmey} "Motives are insignificant".

See also:

lay'Ha' 		break one's word (v)
lach 			exaggerate (v)
mIy 			brag (v)