tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 06:05:16 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Tlhingan Hol ghogh wab

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

You left out the excellent possibility that Klingons really don't care whether you give the digits of a date or the number of the date. They could arbitrarily say it either way and understand it, just like humans do. We call the current year "twenty fourteen" or "two thousand fourteen", and nobody has any significant arguments about which is more correct. Having a canon example of it done one way does not exclude the possibility of the other way being valid.

Feel free to say it either way. I'll understand you. Likely, so will everyone else. If it really were important to say it exclusively one way and not the other, likely Okrand would have fun telling us how ridiculous it is to do it wrong, and explain that remarkably unpleasant things would happen to any fool who said it the wrong way to a Klingon.

The only REALLY important thing is that you say {Qap-la'} and not "kaaa-plaaaaa", since the latter is like pronouncing "si vous plait" as "see vooze plate". Maybe you'll be understood, but not without eye rolling.