tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 08:27:17 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Bottle Opening and Drinking, al-Amarjan Style

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > MO to 'ISqu' (1/02/2012):  hole (like a hole in the ground) is
> {QemjIq}. This can also be used for the hollow in a tree. {qung}, the
> word for "hole in a musical instrument", can't be used for a hole in the
> ground, but it could be used for a bullet hole or a hole in a shirt
> (including buttonholes, moth holes, accidental rips, etc.) or a hole in
> the roof. You can fill ({teb}) a {QemjIq}, but not a {qung}.
> >
> > According to HQ 10.2:8, {qung} is to change the pitch in a wind
> instrument, apparently not a soundhole for stringed instruments.
> >
> > Based on this, I would say that the opening of a bottle (or jug) is the
> general {QemjIq}.  {qung} seems to be restricted to the very specialized
> holes in wind instruments.

Lieven:
> Maybe you should adapt these notes. You cannot say "{qung} seems to be
> restricted to the very specialized holes"
>
> after reading Okrand's explanation:
>
> "{qung} [...] could be used for a bullet hole or a hole in a shirt
> (including buttonholes, moth holes, accidental rips, etc.) or a hole in
> the roof."[]

I should really read my own posts!  jagh yIbuStaH!

So {qung} seems to focus on an opening *through something* while {QemjIq} focuses on an opening *into something (with a bottom)*, e.g. bottle, hole/pit in the ground, tree hollow, vat/keg, bowls, etc.

The musically "specialized" sense is thus an opening through the side of a tube (allowing air to escape or not) - would this work for a manhole (an opening into a sewer)?  I'd imagine that tubes also have a {megh'an} and {'er'In} "end/(other) end" as well.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons