tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 07:19:41 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HIja'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, August 20, 2014
>
> Klingon word: HIja'
> Part of speech: excl
> Definition: yes, true (answer to yes/no question)

  HIja', HItlhej
  Yes, come with me! CK

  HIja' [unintelligible] wISuqnIS.
  Yeah, we should get him a thank you card. (Hallmark)

  HIja'. Sum raS
  Yes. The table is near (you). (HQ 12/1998)

Note the synonym {HISlaH}:

 HISlaH, jawwI'.
 I have, my lord. ST3

TKD 57:  {HIja'} and {HISlaH} seem to be used interchangeably.

ghunchu'wI' (8/29/2011):  Only Cathie Shirriff (Valkris) was filmed without benefit of on-set coaching [by Marc Okrand]. It's her peculiar take on pronunciation which gives us the variant words {jaw} for lord and {HISlaH} for yes.

In the ST3 novelization we learn that Valkris is a member of a subculture or race known as the Rumaiy, whereas the dominant Klingon culture is Kumburanya.  This could explain her accent, which may be regional like the Mekro'vak, No'hvadut, Morska, Krotmag, Ruk'evet, Sakrej, and Tak'ev dialects.  *{rumay' Hol} perhaps?  Or it could even have been a bit of {no' Hol} "ancient language".  Perhaps {HISlaH, jawwI'} is a famous line from an ancient Klingon epic?  (Compare *Et tu, Brute?* which is sometimes the only Latin some people know.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons