tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 15 11:02:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Catholic priest seeks recording of prayer in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

David Holt wrote:
>> ... through the intercession of Saint Isidore, Bishop and Doctor
>> {bISop} Qel je {San ‘ISIDor} ‘ej nuboQ ‘e’ wIqoy’.

ghunchu'wI' replied:
> Ranks come after the name, and I think that would apply to titles as
> well. I don't know exactly what to do when there are two of them, though.
> But shouldn't he be the subject of {boQ}? The {'ej} isn't right, in any
> case.

Actually there are three titles in play:  Saint, Bishop and Doctor.

  nuboQ 'ISIDor {San} {bISop} Qel je 'e' wIqoy'

The prefix {nu-} "he/she/it/they [does something to] us" is ambiguous: are there one or four subjects?  Isolating his titles from his "rank" might help, as they are in apposition to "Saint Isidore":

  nuboQ {'ISIDor San} ({bISop} Qel je) 'e' wIqoy'

Was Isidor a medical doctor - i.e. a physician {Qel} - or a doctor of philosophy?  If the latter, call him a {ghojmoHwI'} "teacher".  As someone pointed out earlier a bishop is etymologically an overseer, so either {vu'wI'} "manager" or {loHwI'} "magistrate" (lit. "administrator") work.  As these are both nomina agentis, I think it sounds a bit better:

  nuboQ {'ISIDor San} (loHwI' ghojmoHwI' je) 'e' wIqoy'

FYI:  from KGT (p. 152f.) we have the slang term {Ho'} "idol, someone worthy of emulation" which might work for saint.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons