tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 09 13:05:48 2014

[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Catholic priest seeks recording of prayer in Klingon

nIqolay Q ([email protected])

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Michael Roney, Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM, BT Yahoo! <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Best render God as {qa''a'} = "Great Spirit" and not as {qeylIS}, please.
>>

> While I certainly agree that "God" should not be translated as
> {qeylIS}, I don't see the reasoning behind not using {Qun}.

When {Qun} was first described by Mark Okrand, the context was of one
god within a pantheon of Klingon deities, and he wasn't sure if it
would really apply in the context of a monotheistic deity. He wasn't
sure if {Qun'a'} would really work either, since it would have the
connotation of one major deity among many. I suppose whether or not
you want to use {Qun} depends on how much wiggle room you're willing
to accept in dealing with somewhat mismatched concepts.

I've seen {joH'a'} used a few times in reference to God, as Lord.

>> Best leave Christ as {HrISt}, unless a Klingon translation can be found for "he who has been anointed" :: "Christ" came from Ancient
>> Greek "khri_s - tos" from the verb stem "khri_(s)" = "to rub" or "to anoint".
>>

> Nick Nicholas used {IHrIStoS}.
> And I'm not sure how to pronounce {HrISt}...
>
> ~naHQun

Well, {QISmaS} suggests you could just use {QIS} for "Christ". I guess
the important question is which language would be best to work with --
Christ's native tongue (Hebrew, or maybe Aramaic), the language used
in the writings about Christ (Greek), the language Klingons would have
first heard about Christ in (probably English)...

(I accidentally sent this to just naHQun at first. jagh yIbuStaH!)