tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 13:35:16 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon GPS

nIqolay Q ([email protected])

A while ago, I decided to practice translating weather reports. For
wind direction, I sat down and compiled a list of all the directions
that could be specified using the 'ev tIng chan method, along with the
degree they would correspond to. Assuming, based on Okrand's original
description, that chan is east i.e. 90 degrees, tIng and 'ev are 130
degrees from chan and 100 degrees from each other, and compounds
specify a point halfway between their components, you get:

25 - 'ev chan
57.5 - 'ev chan chan
90 - chan
122.5 - tIng chan chan
155 - tIng chan
187.5 - tIng chan tIng
220 - tIng
245 - 'ev tIng tIng (tIng 'ev tIng)
270 - 'ev tIng (tIng 'ev)
295 - 'ev tIng 'ev (tIng 'ev 'ev)
320 - 'ev
352.5 - 'ev chan 'ev

East (90 degrees) is chan, west (270 degrees) is 'ev tIng, and the
closest you can get to north (0 degrees) and south (180 degrees) are
'ev chan 'ev and tIng chan tIng, respectively, both of which are off
by 7.5 degrees.