tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 13:19:20 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon GPS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> Considering that Klingons have a three-point compass, translating
>> four-point compass directions might be slightly difficult.

naHQun:
> If these are simply turn-by-turn directions for a GPS used in a car; we
> won't have to deal with N S E W.  [...]
> I've never had my TomTom tell me to turn North.

You could simply use the 360-degree system used by naval and aircraft navigators:

  000   due North
  090   due East
  180   due South
  270   due West

For more details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_%28navigation%29

And we have plenty of examples to use as a model:

  He pagh-pagh-pagh-DoD-cha' yInab
  Plot course zero-zero-zero, mark two. ST5

  He pagh-pagh-vagh-jav-pagh-jav yInab
  Plot course 0.0.5.6.0.6. (ST5 notes)

  He wej pagh Soch DoD cha'
  course 3-0-7-mark-2 (st.k 11/21/99)

... not to mention several useful phases for the driver to use:

  He chu' yIghoS
  Follow a new course! TKD

  He chu' ghoS. DIvI' neHmaH.
  New course. Federation neutral zone. ST3

  DaH Heraj yIchoH
  Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)

  nImbuS wej maghoS, He yInab!
  Plot course for Nimbus III. ST5

'ach TomTom, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons