tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 28 06:26:46 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lay'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, April 26, 2014
>
> Klingon word: lay'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: promise

  lay' qotar
  [untranslated?] PB

  bIlay'DI' qaHarbe'
  Your word means nothing to me PB

  jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
  Did you think that my word of honor would have carried me this far? PB

  jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta' vaj choDanIS
  I have kept my word of honor, and so should you, PB

  qotarvaD lay'ta' 'ej batlh pab qeylIS
  Kahless kept his word of honor to Kotar PB

  bIleghlaH jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta'
  As you see, I have kept my word PB

PUN:
to "lie"!

Cf. {lay'Ha'} "break one's word" (v) KGT:

  not lay'Ha' tlhIngan
  No Klingon ever breaks his word. TKW

"A Klingon never breaks his word." (Worf to Alexander, TNG "Cost of Living")

Cultural notes:

KGT 121:  The expression comes from the well-known story of Kahless the Unforgettable, the founder of the Klingon Empire, and his brother, Morath, who fought for the fabled 'twelve days and twelve nights' because Morath had broken his word and brought shame to the family.

Don't confuse {lay'Ha'} with:

bIv 		break (rules) (v)
ghor 		break (object) (v)

Similar words: