tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 13:58:22 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Audio recordings of Klingon speech?

De'vID ([email protected])

De'vID:
>>Are there any audio recordings of decent amounts of well-pronounced spoken
> Klingon which aren't subject to copyright restrictions?
>>
>>I am working on a Text-To-Speech engine and need to sample a largish
>>amount of Klingon audio. (But I can't use CK and PK because of
>>copyright.)

Christoph:
> The first thing that comes to (my) mind would be the videos Teresh did:
> http://www.youtube.com/user/teresh000
> Not sure about copyright, though. But AFAIR, most of the speakers are from
> this list, so it should be easy to clear the issue?
> (His website had detailed information, but it's offline unfortunately.)

That's about 30 minutes, not all speaking. Unfortunately, I need much
more than that.

Qov:
> Ha ha, I don't remember seeing that completed. I remember recording lu' qaH
> over and over again, though. I'm surprised my character didn't stab the guy.

So, to follow up on my original message, I did some experiments over
the weekend, and it seems that I may have to record all the audio
myself. The problem is that I don't have a pool of recordings that
cover even most of the possible syllables in Klingon, preferably
spoken by one person. If I mix recordings from different people, due
to sample size, the produced speech sounds very uneven (like different
people cutting in to finish each other's sentence!). If I "flatten"
the voices to sound alike, it ends up sounding like Stephen Hawking.
While Stephen Hawking speaking Klingon is absolutely hilarious, a
Text-To-Speech engine that sounds like that won't be taken seriously.
So... it's going to sound like me instead, for better or for worse.

Also, my original idea was to provide one male and one female voice,
which is sort of standard for TTS engines... but unless a female
Klingon speaker wants to volunteer their time to record lots of spoken
Klingon (Qov? 'ISqu'?), it seems that at least version 1 will be male
voice only.

--
De'vID