tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 09:17:20 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghay

SuStel ([email protected])

>    jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
>     'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
>    Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign. MKE

On 4/18/2014 11:32 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
If I don’t repeat a subject phrase used for two verbs, I much prefer
Hegh ‘ej rIQ SuvwI’pu’ law’.

The Monopoly version follows the rules of TKD 6.2.1:

   In its fullest form, a Klingon sentence repeats the noun:
      {yaS legh pu' 'ej yaS qIp puq}
   [...]
   The child sees the officer and the child hits the officer.
   or
   The child sees the officer and hits the officer.
   or
   The child sees and hits the officer.

The Monopoly card simply uses the fullest form.

One shortens a sentence because one wants to, not because one has to, or even that a sentence will sound stilted if one doesn't.

Interesting that it’s ‘ej not qoj or pagh there.

I wouldn't expect either deaths or injuries but not both when taking heavy casualties.

Here there’s another possible subject for Hegh, the qarDaSnganpu’, so
stating the subject right away is useful.

This also follows an example in TKD:

   It is possible, however, to use pronouns rather than nouns in the
   second of the joined sentences.
      yaS legh puq 'ej ghaH qIp ghaH
   [...]

   If the context is clear, even the pronoun may be left out.

In the quotation we're looking at, the sentences about {Hegh} and {rIQ} are joined, not the subordinate clause.

jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'lI' law' 'ej rIQ

yaS legh puq 'ej qIp
(Not {yaS legh 'ej qIp puq}.)

{rIQ} is closer to {Hegh}, and you've established a new subject. I don't find this confusing. Elided subjects and objects, or pronouns, continue to act in the same syntactic role as their antecedents, unless some effort is made to establish a new role.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/