tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 12:26:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan Hol QIn

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv, 'utlh:
> wa' mu' wIHutlhbogh wIpoQ:  "fun".
>
> <fun> wIHutlhtaHchugh, taghwI'pu' DISuqlaHbe'. tlhoy maghoHtaHchugh,
> <fun> wIHoH.
>
> <fun> vISuqmeH jIjeS. tlhoy maghoHtaHmo' Heghqa' <fun> 'e' vIleghDI'
> jImejqa'.
>
> Do'Ha', jI<be fun>chu'be'. jIpupHa'. rut pIch vIghajbej. pIch
> vIghajtaHvIS, jImobbe'.
>
> ram pIch. potlh <fun>.
>
> jI<be fun>choHmeH, vIQaHlu'chugh, QuchchoH Hoch. jInIDqu' 'e' vIlay'.
>
> tugh jIQagh net pIHba'. 'ach jInIDqa'taH.
>
> jI<be fun>taHghach potlh law' jIlughchu'taHghach potlh puS. Do'Ha', jI<be
> fun>laHchu'be'.
>
> yI<be fun>.

We may already have such a slang word: {tlhuH} "be exhilarated, be stimulated, be invigorated" which seems to work for "have fun":

KGT 165:  Literally meaning "breathe", this word is used in such expressions as {jItlhuH} ("I am exhilarated, it's exhilarating to me"; literally, "I breathe"). Perhaps a near equivalent in standard Klingon is {Sey} (be excited).

TKW 73:  Klingons have always considered it truly invigorating to face danger. As commander Kruge said to Captain Kirk while the Genesis planet on which they were stranded was quickly falling apart, "Exhilarating, isn't it?" [ST3]

KGT 192:  Note that for a Klingon warrior, bleeding is an indication of a particularly exhilarating battle, not a symbol of defeat.

KGT 101f.  If the patron rejects a dish that the server believes has been properly remembered, however, the misunderstanding could develop into minor combat. For most of the other diners in the restaurant, this is regarded as an exhilarating diversion.

Sounds like they're all having fun to me. <g>

Cf. also {pIl} "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated" and once I saw *{DalHa'} "be un-boring".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons