tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 16:28:34 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Multiple verb suffixes

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

{DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH.} is one good example. Two others come from a Newsgroup posting:

=======================================
Since -moH is a
Type 4 suffix, if a suffix of Type 1, 2, or 3 is to be used (such as -chuq
"each other" [Type 1] or
-nIS "need" [Type 2]), it would precede the Type 4 -moH; for example,
pujchuqmoH "they weaken each other" or pujnISmoH "he/she needs to weaken
[somebody]."

[...]

Thus, finally and at long last, to answer your first
specific question, say vIchennISmoH for "I need to create
it."
=======================================

For a more full discussion:
http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1998-02-23-news.txt&get=source

It's worth noting that TKD 4.2.2. states

"[Type 2 verb suffixes] express how much choice the subject has about the action described or how predisposed the subject is to doing it."

A strict reading of this, assuming that we've got the right idea of what constitutes a "subject" in Klingon, would seem to indicate that a sentence such as {choHeghvIpmoH} could only ever mean "You're afraid to make me die.", and never "You make me fear death."

However, there is an apparent contradiction of this later in TKD 4.2.10.:
{HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} <it made him/her willing to die>

Then, in paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 7, Stanzas 6-7):

=====================================
'ach luj molor
vangmo' molor HoSghajchoHqu' qeylIS
'ej SuvqangmoHbej

Suvchu'meH Suvchu'meH Suvchu'meH
ghaH SuvqangmoHchu'
molor

Instead, by doing so,
Kahless grew mighty and strong,
And it fueled his will to fight.

To the death, to the death, to the death,
It fueled his will to fight
To the death.

However, paq'batlh also contains an example that complies with TKD 4.2.2:

paq'yav, Canto 6, Stanza 2
‘ej loDnI’lI’ yIjon
molor DaQapbe’nISmoH
yIghoS yIghoS yIghoS