tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 13 04:30:04 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Translating the past

SuStel ([email protected])

On 4/13/2014 12:53 AM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

Such special pleading is not necessary. The paq'batlh has many other
relevant examples, most of which have active verbs like {leng} and
{Qoy} and {qel}.

I've quickly skimmed through paq'batlh, and I don't find any examples of -pu' or -ta' that aren't purely aspect. In places where I see time contexts, I see no reason to interpret anything happening prior to that time context. Through my extremely brief skimming, paq'batlh seems to be very sensible in this matter.

In English it is customary to deliver narratives in the past tense, but in Klingon you simply give a time context. Just because a time context is in our past doesn't mean a sentence is in the past tense, and it doesn't mean that you have to use the completion suffixes because all these events have been completed to our perspective.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/