tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 21:54:13 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Translating the past

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Apr 12, 2014, at 10:53 AM, "Robyn Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So why do you think Marc Okrand uses the perfective so much more than we do?

My guess is that he doesn't do a lot of extended reporting on or discussion of past events, where the time context is already established before most of the description occurs.

> There can easily be something special about hunger and thirst.

Such special pleading is not necessary. The paq'batlh has many other relevant examples, most of which have active verbs like {leng} and {Qoy} and {qel}.

-- ghunchu'wI'