tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 11 07:22:15 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Da'ar

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, April 11, 2014
>
> Klingon word: Da'ar
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: Dahar (master)
> Source: IKS Gorkon trilogy: Book One: A Good Day to Die

AFAIK never used by Okrand.

A Dahar Master is a Klingon warrior who has reached a legendary status among his peers and subordinates.  Kor, Koloth, and Kang were all Dahar Masters.  "There's a drunken Klingon in my holding cell who must be a hundred years old, singing battle songs.  Even his best friend [Koloth], who's probably a hundred and fifty years old, won't have anything to do with him, so I get the pleasure of listening to his repertoire.  Kor, Dahar Master of the Klingons!"
 (Odo to Kira, DS9 "Blood Oath"; cf. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dahar_master )

"I think Okrand didn't mean {pIn'a'} for Master in this sense... one who is knowledgeable in a field. He mentioned once, I think, that he's looking for a better term for this meaning."  [~mark]

Similar words:

moQbara'	*mok'bara* (martial arts form) (n)
tonSaw'	"Klingon fighting"  (n)

mI' 		exercise, do calisthenics, do martial arts movements (v)
Suv 		fight (v)
HIgh 		fight dirty (v)

--
Voragh