tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 03 07:36:47 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bolwI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, April 03, 2014
>
> Klingon word: bolwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: traitor (slang)

KGT 147:  This word actually means "drooler" - that is, one who drools. The nonslang word meaning traitor is {maghwI'} (literally, one who betrays). Probably because of the parallel formation of {bolwI'} and {maghwI'} ... the verb {bol} (drool) is sometimes used to mean betray, as if it were equivalent to {magh}. In this usage, {bol}, like {magh}, may take an object; that is, the sentence may indicate who is betrayed:  {mumaghpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me") or {mubolpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me"; literally, "He/she has drooled me"). In its nonslang sense, {bol} does not take an object:  {bolpu'} ("He/she has drooled")." (KGT 147)

PUN:
During the US Civil War Southerners working for the Union against the Confederacy were called "boll weevils" - an insect which destroys cotton crops by burrowing into the cotton bloom (known as a "boll"), ruining the plant from the inside.

Similar words:

maghwI' 	traitor (n)
'urwI'     traitor (n)
'urmang 	treason (n)

magh  	betray, act against (v)
'ur  		commit treason (v)
QuS 		conspire (v)
cheH 		defect (v)
Daw' 		revolt (v)
HeS 		commit a crime (v)

HQ 12.4 p.8:  If {tlhepQe'} "saliva" is produced, one is said to {tIl} "salivate}. If the {tlhepQe'} involuntarily escapes one's lips and dribbles down one's chin, one is said to {bol} "drool".

Similar words:

tlhepQe' 	saliva (n)
'IqnaH 	mucus (n)
qo'qaD 	phlegm) (n)