tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 03 06:27:08 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] BKP - Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
> A minor quibble with regard to your translation on the message board:
> {bejbogh ghom'a' law' wISIch} is perfectly grammatical as said; it
> doesn't need to be {DISIch}. Remember that {law'} can be translated as
> "be much, be numerous" in addition to "be many", so a single thing can be
> {law'}: fuel, food, a crowd. It doesn't translate well into English, but
> in Klingon it's perfectly well-formed to say {ghom'a' law'} "a many-in-
> number crowd, a large crowd".

Some examples:

HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je
A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted
 to its weapons grid and defensive systems. SP3

chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
Painstiks... emit a highly-charged shock for the express
 purpose of inflicting pain. S32

HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

yuQ SumDaq cha'puj law' Datu'
Detect large sums of dilithium on nearby planet. MKE

Although not an example of the "be much" sense, here's my favorite sentence showing some of the fine points of {law'}:

DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq
 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS
It [IKC Pagh] has the best weapons and some of the finest warriors
 in the Klingon fleet. S7

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons