tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 01 19:57:13 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Certification Test Woes

Seruq ([email protected])

> 	You have prbably thought about it already, but can't
> the weight of a quetion be attached to the number of words or
> syllables in the answer?
>
> 	e.g
> 	translate "shoe" - answer = 1 point
> 	translate "where is the bathroom" - answer = 6 points
>
> 	This may not always work, but can make some more difference.
>

> Well, if we were to go with an approach like this I wouldn't
> count syllables, but morphemes.  No reason that "bathroom"
> should have a higher value than "loo".  The questions are (a)
> how do you reliably calculate this value; and (b) what do you
> do with it?

Is there just one big pool of questions?  Hypothetically, could a test end up being questions that
all ask "What is the suffix for..."?
What if the pool was broken into groups?  One group is of questions that require just a single word
answer.  Another group is for questions that require writing a sentence.  And so on with however
many groups would be appropriate.  When generating tests, so many questions get pulled from each
group.  x number of questions about suffixes.  y number of questions involving sentences.  Etc.
Questions within each group would carry the same value.  Maybe even group by sentence
length/complexity.  A group for sentences like "The officer hit the boy", and another group for
sentences like "Two days ago I saw the boy whom the officer hit."

Wouldn't really be /changing/ the tests, just make the randomness more even and scoring would be
based on which group the question came from.

-- DloraH