tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 01 07:28:32 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'em

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, April 01, 2014
>
> Klingon word: 'em
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: behind, area behind

  QIStaq 'emDaq jenchoH jul
  The sun rises high behind the Kri'stak PB

KGT 24f.:  Another interesting grammatical difference is found in the way prepositional concepts (above, below, and so on) are expressed in the speech typical of the Sakrej ({Sa'Qej}) region. In Klingon in general, such ideas are conveyed by using a special set of nouns ({'em} [area behind], {bIng} [area below], and others) that follow the nouns whose position they are indicating. Thus, "behind the door" is {lojmIt 'em} (literally, "door area behind") and "below the table" is {raS bIng} (literally, "table area below"). A pronoun may be used instead of a noun: {jIH 'em} (behind me--literally, "I area behind"), {chaH bIng }(below them--literally, "they area below"). In the Sakrej region, however, possessive suffixes are used in place of the independent pronouns: {'emwIj} (behind me--literally, "my area behind"), {bIngchaj} (below them--literally, "their area below"). Using the possessive suffix construction when speaking {ta' Hol} will not lead to misunderstandings, but it will associate the speaker with the residents of Sakrej, which, depending on the political situation, may or may not be beneficial.

Reminder on "area nouns":

TKD 27:  An English preposition need not be a part of the translation. Klingon {Dung} means "area above", and {DungDaq" is "overhead", literally something like "at the area above."

Cf. {mong'em} the "*mong'em* maneuver" (Diplomatic Implausibility, c2001)

DI:  A parry where you thrust a sword or other edged weapon behind your neck in order to block an attack from the rear.

Similar words:

'o' 		aft (n)

tlhop	  	area in front of (n)
'et 		fore, area in front (n)