tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 10 16:21:50 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] transcript of Star Trek Into Darkness

De'vID ([email protected])

Bellerophon, modeler:
> Perhaps it's my ignorance, but most of this is gibberish to me.

It's because the original lines were dubbed over with new ones with
completely different meanings. Many new words were invented to fit the
new dialogue.

De'vID:
>> jIvuylaH. jIve'.

The original line was {DevwI' ghaH 'Iv'e'?} This is why the English
subtitle in the theatre (or maybe only in some theatres) was "Who's in
charge here?", and not "I am here to help you" as in the DVD. This
also matches the English and German novelisations.

If you turn off the sound and just read her lips, it's very clear that
that was the original line.

De'vID:
>> jIyI'.
>> ghach jIvvo' naH. DaH pIghvamDaq So''eghtaH.

{HIja'. ghaH vISammeH...} [cut] followed by an unchanged line.

De'vID:
>> 'ej Dojmey wID - vInDa'ma' peq.

{'ej DochmeywIj vItlhapqa'meH...} [this was supposed to be followed by
{naDev vIghoSpu'}, which was cut]

De'vID:
>> toH, Hey Humanpu'. qatlh DISaH?

I think this should've been {toH, Hegh Humanpu', qatlh jISaH?}, but
was spoken with mispronunciations.

De'vID:
>> potlhmo' batlh, vIqawba'.

{mughojmoH parmaqqaywI'} [What did Spock teach her? Perhaps we'll never know.]

De'vID:
>> 'ej chIvo' neH chIw vum'e'.

The first word appears to be {naDevvo'} (her lips move before she
starts making any sound), but I can't match it to any line in the
novelisations.

De'vID:
>> Qob lIb bam SoH chuDlI' je.

This line is said off-screen, but I suspect something's messed up
because of the lack of a prefix on {bam}. My theory is that {lIb} is
to cover {lIbam} (MO reversed the object and subject), and {chuD} is
possibly a mispronunciation of {jup} (which is what it sort of sounded
like to me).

Lieven is working on a message with the meaning of all the new words.
Since I got the meanings from him, I'll wait for him to reveal them.

--
De'vID