tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 12:36:12 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qep'a' New Vocabulary

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> While having the exact gloss is important, and I will try not to misstate it
> in future, is there a case where figurative speech isn’t metaphorical or
> vice versa?

Figurative speech merely means employing a "figure of speech" that has
a meaning beyond its literal interpretation. Metaphorical speech
specifically names an object as something it is not in order to imply
equivalent qualities. «tlhoy' HoS 'oH mangghommaj'e'.» All metaphors
are figurative. Not all figures of speech are metaphorical. Similes
are the first useful example that comes to mind.

> Let the English professors now provide examples of hyperbole, figurative
> speech, and exaggeration which could not be classed as metaphor.

There are more types of figurative speech than I can name, but others
have put together a list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figures_of_speech#Categories_of_figures_of_speech

Since {SorHa'} was given to us as "speak metaphorically", it might be
the case that the verb {Sor} doesn't quite mean "speak literally".
There are nonliteral figures of speech other than metaphor.

-- ghunchu'wI'