tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 17:48:50 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] reporting errors with Bing translator

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

It's probably from the interview MO did for a British magazine. There are a
lot of bizarre ones. Have you tried the single letter Q? And 'avwI'
translates as "switzer." We don't have the ability to go in and disabuse it
of specific stupid notions, I'm afraid.

- Robyn

-----Original Message-----
From: De'vID [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: July 1, 2013 6:39 AM
To: tlhIngan-Hol
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] reporting errors with Bing translator

I understand that several grammarians are involved in Bing translator and
can fix errors?

One particularly egregious one at the moment is that {qavan,} (with the
trailing comma, or with a period or exclamation mark) is translated as "Hi
baby,". Since I sometimes write messages to people beginning with {qavan,},
I don't want them plugging that into Bing and getting the wrong idea!

I thought the Bing translator was based on statistical translation, so I
have to wonder where in the corpora we have {qavan,} and "Hi baby,"
in the corresponding translation.

(Without the trailing punctuation, it becomes "Hello how are", which is
still wrong, but less likely to lead to unfortunate
misunderstandings.)

--
De'vID