tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 24 20:16:37 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] wa'maH cha' jatlhwI'pu' po'qu' chaH 'Iv'e'?

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

The term "fluent" doesn't really seem to mean anything. I would consider myself fluent in a language if I could say anything I had to express without ever having to pause to look for the way to formulate the sentence and could completely understand well-formatted sentences spoken at a normal to rapid rate. I haven't ever considered myself fluent in Klingon, and I don't remember ever speaking with anyone that met that target.

I don't know where I got that definition, and it doesn't bother me that not everyone uses it. Lawrence used to not speak Klingon nearly as well as he does now, and he probably looked around the room at qep'a'mey and identified the group of people who could hold a conversation about pretty much anything and comfortably live for a day or so entirely in Klingon, with the major impediment being trying to communicate with people who hadn't reached that level. I can imagine there were about twelve of us in 1996 -- 1996? That was wejDIch! Most of us certainly got a lot better than we were then, and then some of us have declined again. His list probably would have included: Qanqor, Seqram, charghwI', ghunchu'wI', Holtej, me, nIchyon, yoDtargh, DrujIv (the last two I've never met) and ... I think taD, SuStel, pagh je weren't there in 1996 yet. Who else? There was a young, shy, guy whose name I have forgotten but who advised me of my ability, "not yIyon," and the advice stuck fast. And now there are lots of new speakers, many DoyIchlan[n]ganpu' vIqIHbe'bu'bogh, 'ISqu', latlhpu' law' vIlijpu'bogh je. qanoppu'chugh qatIch vIneHbe'. 1996 vIqelqu'.

You will meet many people who say they know someone who is fluent in Klingon, and most of the time they will turn out to speak hardly a word. If you meet someone you've never heard of who supposedly speaks Klingon and they can put together a single original sentence, you're doing well. I wish I had the resources to track down every independent Klingon speaker and haul them all to qep'a'.

Delton is pretty active on the net with costuming group, and he's at least first hand claiming his fluency. He might be on here, even. I found him on Facebook, so if he accepts my friend request I'll set up a video chat or something.

There must be over a hundred people who can produce competent Klingon text and read others' work, upping that to hundreds to thousands if they are allowed reference material, and depending on how much time you give them. Spoken Klingon though ... pretty rare.

I just want to speak Klingon as well as I possibly can and increase the cicles so there are as many as possible really good speakers, but also as many as possible people who know a tiny bit, even if their friends declare them fluent and confuse the issue.

- Qov