tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 20 14:58:50 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] New Canon - King John Shakespeare

Qov ([email protected])

At 14:47 '?????' 3/20/2012, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:
I find the use of {neH} in the first one a bit surprising: > loD naQmoHlaH be'vam rurbogh be' neH > ... > 'ach be'vam pupqu'moHlaH loDvam neH "The mere woman who is like this woman" "This mere man can make this woman truly perfect"

TKD 5.4 yIlaDqa'. Following a verb it has the trivializing effect you describe. Following a noun it means "only, alone," and works here.

The second one: > parmaq choH pagh teHqu' Interesting use of teH; appears to refer to something other than the truth value of a statement. A definite nothingness? Or perhaps it's two sentences with no punctuation between? "Nothing changes par'Mach. It's really true!"

I see {pagh teHqu'} as a similar to paghna'. Note the back translation "very true[ly] nothing." So the subject of the sentence is a "very true nothing."

> Qombe'! nISbe' jevwI', 'ej not ruS baq. So, if this is canon, we now have jevwI' to refer to storms/tempest.

But note that it's in the context of the previous sentence which establishes what, in this case is doing the jev-ing, and therefore may not be obvious out of context.

- Qov