tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 26 11:44:59 2012

[Tlhingan-hol] Pronoun agreement in to-be sentences

Qov ([email protected])

A participant in the Vancouver qepHom has produced the sentence:

nuHwIj nIvqu' 'oH mu'mey'e'

to mean "Words are my best weapon."

The fact that mu'mey does not agree with 'oH is bothering me, but I'm not sure if it should. Why doesn't the disagreement "plural are singular" bother me in English?

If I have him change it to:

nuHwIj nIvqu' bIH mu'mey'e'

... then I've changed it to "Words are my best weapons." If it were my own sentence I'd do that, or even make it {mu'mey bIH nuHwIj nIvqu''e'}, but as it's someone else's sentence I don't want to say "it doesn't feel right" or "it has to agree with both" unless there is something backing me up. Do we have any canon copula sentences with the two parts deserving different pronouns?