tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 18 09:45:22 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: choH

Qov ([email protected])

At 07:14 18/01/2012, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 18, 2012
>
> Klingon word:   choH
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     alter, change

As used in canon:

DaH Heraj yIchoH
Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)

HIvHe yIchoHmoH
Alter the attack course! ST5

This is interesting. Someone recently posted citing HIvHe yIchoHmoH as evidence that choH requires -moH to be transitive, yet that contradicts both the example from the ST5 notes and the gloss of "alter," which in English is always transitive.

I'm slowly tending towards a belief that Klingon is like English in its acceptance of many common verbs meaning both to do the thing to another and to have the thing done, with perhaps -moH and -'egh. I want to preserve the things that are Klingon and not have tlhIngan Hol become a Klinglish creole, but it's the price for expanded use of the language.

- Qov