tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 25 18:28:46 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH jav

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

Sorry I've missed so much of this. I've been going a bit nuts with my
PhD thesis of late and haven't had much Klingon time. HIvqa' veqlargh.

mughpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> (Qo'noS wa'Daq jol qIrq McCoy je.)
> [Qo'noS wa' jolpa']
> KERLA: bImaw'choHpu''a'?

I would have used the plural here, referring to the Enterprise's crew.
Kirk must have given the dishonourable order, but the crew also had to
have obeyed it.

> KIRK: qaSpu'bogh wanI' vIyajbe' 'e' vI'Ip.
> McCOY: maQaHmeH naDev maHtaH.

maj.

> KERLA: HItlhej.
> [ghorqon gharmeH pa']
> McCOY: ghorqon Qang!
> KIRK: ghuy'cha', naDev qaSpu' nuq?

qatlh {jay'} Dalo'Qo'? naDev lI'bej 'e' vIQub.

> CHANG: bISovbe' 'e' Danep 'e' DangIl!

Is this not more a rhetorical question? I'd have used DangIl'a'.

> KIRK: qaSpu' nuq?
> CHANG: qIpchu'bogh 'otlh peng Dalo'mo', tlhamchemmaj[1] naQ
> DaQotlhchu'.

I think you need -pu' on Chang's verbs here: qIpchu'bogh 'otlh peng
Dalo'pu'mo', tlhamchemmaj naQ DaQotlhchu'pu'. Same issue as before with
the number of "you", as well: I think the plural would be preferable.

> 'ej jol peQ DaS tuQbogh cha' DIvI' beqlI''e',

Since jol is both noun and verb, I got a little confused here with the
string of nouns following it. You could clear that up with jolpu', as
the action is certainly completed.

> 'ej ghu'vam luta'.

vIpar. There has to be a better way of putting this; it feels calquey.
Perhaps Qu'vam instead of ghu'vam?

> McCOY: HaqwI' Daghaj'a'?

boghaj'a'.

> CHANG: qaSpa' quvHa'bogh ghu'vam[2], wIghajpu'.

Just go with ghu'vam quvHa' (not ghu' quvHa'vam as in your footnote).
It's true that TKD 4.4 does say only -qu' is allowed here, but there's
an example from HolQeD 12:3 where quvHa' is used adjectivally: SuvwI'
quvHa' "dishonoured warrior".

> McCOY: va... vIQaH 'e' yIchaw'... vIHlaw'taH tIq.  wIqenglaH...
> wovwI' vIpoQ.

The term for "lamp" or "light" is wov*moH*wI'.

> raSDaq wIlItmoHlaH'a'?

maj. For reasons of brevity you might want to use lan rather than
lItmoH but what you have here is fine.

> yI'uch... yI'uchchu'taH, vIngaDmoHtaHvIS.  yI'uchqu'!  Qu'vatlh.
> KIRK: ghaHvaD...
> McCOY: *Jim*, porghQeDDaj vISovbe'...

porghQeD is the wrong word here. It refers to the science, not the
structure. We recently got the word Qur "structure, organisation" from
the qepHom'a', which we're told can be used for "anatomy":

"...[Maltz] did know a word {Qur} that might be related, though it was
difficult to translate. The best he could come up with was "structure"
or "organization." He was quick to point out that this did not mean
"structure" like a building is a structure, nor did it mean
"organization" like an organization of people or even an organization
of states. It means the way things fit together or the arrangement of
the parts of something bigger. He said it could be used for "anatomy"
when talking about animals." (email to Quvar, 24 Oct 2011)

> SoQchoHbe' qungmeyDaj.

Again, sounds a bit calquey; a recast might be better here.

> KERLA: HoHlI'!
> McCOY: vIH tIqDaj 'e' mevlu'...

vIHbe'choHpu' tIqDaj jay' "his damned heart has stopped moving" would
be much more Klingon, I think.

> ghuy'cha', Ha', va... choHbe' DotlhDaj.

maj.

> GORKON: bertlham Da ghu'vam 'e' yIchaw'Qo', HoD.

majQa'. I like bertlham here, especially in the Shakespearean context
of the film.

> CHANG: SaqopmeH Hovmey joj chutlIj mI' 184 vIlo'.  tlhIngan yejquv
> Qang bochot net pum.
> KIRK: toD 'e' nID!

maj. yImughchu'taH!

QeS 'utlh