tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 06 16:02:59 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: quHvaj

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

>> *I believe this is the canonical way of putting it, although one could certainly make the argument that it should be classed as an error. tuQHa'[choH] would make a lot more sense.
> qatlh (*)'e' DaHar?  {tuQmoHHa'} lo'bogh ghantoH chovnatlh wIghaj'a'?  {mIvwIj vItuQHa'choH} 'e' vImaS.

vImaS jIH je 'ach chovnatlhvam tu'lu':

http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1996-04-kcd.txt&get=source

> {qogh} "ear," of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt." When used
> in context, there is seldom confusion; less so when the plural is used
> ({qoghDu'} can only be "ears" while {qoghmey} generally means "belts").
> This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh
> tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean "to not hear,"
> for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken off my belt; your secret
> is safe with me." [[p.18]]

Hujqu'. ghaytan Qagh Marc.
vay' vItuQmoHHa'chugh pagh vItuQHa'moHchugh pagh tuQ nuvvam.